This guide is a component of the Learning in Depth Kit.
See the full LiDKit.
The Learning in Depth Program has captured the imagination of teachers and students in over a dozen countries around the world. This innovative program fosters curiosity and nurtures a love of learning by allowing students to become self-directed experts on a topic over the course of their schooling. This book compiles practical resource materials for teachers who want to implement the Learning in Depth (LiD) program in their classrooms or schools, as well as introduce it to other teachers, administrators, and parents.
Designed for teachers who will be supervising the development of students’ portfolios, this book addresses practical matters of keeping students imaginatively engaged with their LiD topics. Included are steps for getting started, a list of potential LiD topics and the criteria for selecting them, first-hand accounts by teachers who have implemented LiD, and templates for teachers’ logs and blackline masters for student use.
Dr. Kieran Egan
The LiDKit draws on the collaborative work of more than 25 teachers and researchers led by Kieran Egan, a professor of education and Director of The Imaginative Education Research Group at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada. Dr. Egan’s recent books include An Imaginative Approach to Teaching (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005), Teaching Literacy: Engaging the Imagination of New Readers and Writers (Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2006), The Future of Education: Reimagining Our Schools from the Ground Up (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008), and Learning in Depth: A Simple Innovation That Can Transform Schooling (University of Chicago Press, 2010). His books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to LiD and the LiDKit
- Getting Started: Suggestions for Teachers
- Building the Portfolio in the Early Grades
- A Model for Grade 1 Teachers: Learning in Depth about Money
- Adapting LiD for Gifted, Talented, and “Special Needs” Students
- Adapting LiD for Middle School and Older Students
- Applying Learning in Depth in Secondary Social Studies
- Applying Learning in Depth in Secondary English
- Applying Learning in Depth in Secondary Chemistry
- Applying Learning in Depth in Secondary Science
- Letter to Parents/Guardians
- Letter to School Administrators
- Templates for Teachers’ Logs
- Blackline Masters for Student Use