View by Subject:
Katharine Borgen, Catherine Edwards, Sheeva Harrysingh-Klassen, Mark Healy, and Craig Yuill
Format: Hard Cover, 365 PP, 8 x 10
For examination copies, please complete our examination copy request form.
MathWorks 10 is designed to meet the needs of students enrolled in the Western and Northern Canadian Protocol (WNCP) Workplace and Apprenticeship Mathematics program. The only authorized resource for Workplace and Apprenticeship Mathematics, MathWorks 10 addresses 100% of the learning outcomes described in the WNCP Common Curriculum Framework for Grades 10-12 Mathematics.
MathWorks 10 was created to help students make a connection between what they learn in school and the real world of work. Each chapter contains many features designed to engage students, build knowledge, and help them develop reasoning, visualization, communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
The following links allow you to preview chapter 3 of the resources below.
Table of Contents
1. Unit Pricing & Currency Exchange
2. Earning an Income
3. Length, Area, and Volume
4. Mass, Temperature, and Volume
5. Angles and Parallel Lines
6. Similarity of Figures
7. Trigonometry of Right Triangles
- Chapter Projects: Each chapter contains a project in which students apply mathematical concepts in a real-world scenario.
- Math on the Job: Profiles of working Canadians within each chapter highlight the importance of math in the workplace and how it is specifically used in a selection of jobs.
- Explore the Math: These lessons contain a brief explanation of the mathematical ideas being considered and connect the ideas to the real-world contexts in which they are applied.
- Discuss the Ideas: These contextual problems build on the core mathematical ideas in each section. The problems can be worked on in pairs or small groups and emphasize communication and connections.
- Mental Math and Estimation: Realistic situations are provided for students to use their mental math or estimation skills to arrive at a solution.
- Activities: Hands-on activities provide opportunities for students to work collaboratively in realistic contexts.
- Build Your Skills: Practice problems in each chapter enable students to build their mathematical skills and gain confidence in their ability to strategize solutions.
- Extend Your Thinking: These extension questions are in-depth problems that students solve once they have completed the Build Your Skills questions.
- Puzzle It Out: Each chapter contains a puzzle or game that reflects the mathematical ideas in the chapter and offers a lighthearted approach to mathematical problem solving.
- The Roots of Math: Students are introduced to the history of math through short essays related to the chapter's focus.
- Reflect on Your Learning: Summaries of chapter concepts offer students an opportunity to reflect on what they have learned.
- Practice Your New Skills: Students complete each chapter by working through a series of problems that synthesize their learning.
Brochure: MathWorks 10 Brochure
Order Form: MathWorks 10 Order Form
Teacher Resource Book: This comprehensive resource includes teaching strategies, complete worked solutions, alternate solutions, sample chapter tests, graphic organizers, Blackline Masters, ideas for assessment, and much more.
Student Resource CD: A PDF version of the text. Site licences are also available for this resource. See pricing in attached order form at the bottom of this page.
Teacher Resource CD: The Teacher Resource in a digital format with hyperlinks, searchable text, and printable Blackline Masters.
Student Workbook: A separate consumable resource for students.The Workbook will offer differentiated learning strategies and mirrors the Student Resource. Contents include: review questions, practice problems, worked solutions, alternate solutions and mini-lessons. A reproducible version is also available to schools.
Test Bank: The ExamView Test Bank is a quick and easy way to generate practice sets, quizzes, and tests to meet your students’ needs. The test bank includes multiple-choice questions, short-answer questions, and problems for each section of the MathWorks 10 Student Resource. The questions are editable and dynamic, allowing you to create multiple versions of tests and problem sets. Each question shows:
• the answer
• the difficulty level
• the WNCP curriculum topic and specific outcome(s) that the question addresses
• the corresponding section in the MathWorks 10 Student Resource
If you need any additional help you may also find our Testbank Tips useful.
Errata: The original printing of MathWorks 10 Student Resource contained the errors found in this document (PDF). The original printing of MathWorks 10 Teacher Resource contained the errors found in this document (PDF). The original printing of MathWorks 10 Student Workbook contained the errors found in this document (PDF). We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. These errors will be corrected in future printings of the resources.
Alberta Education Assessment Standards for Mathematics 10-3: This document links achievement indicators for specific outcomes with information and commentaries about standards in order to support classroom instruction and assessment. The Assessment Standards for Mathematics 10-3 uses the WNCP-authorized MathWorks 10 resources to provide examples of the standards.